Summers here are H.O.T. and any recipe that doesn’t require the use of an oven has my vote! This past week we had 3 delicious cold salads that were just as satisfying as they were refreshing. Even better, they don’t really require a recipe, and you can tweak the ingredients according to your likes and what you have on hand!
Watermelon, Mint & Feta
(introduced to me by Arre Fuller)
I am actually laughing to myself as I type this because this isn’t really a recipe, I’m just giving you the ingredients!
Watermelon, diced into bite size pieces
Feta cheese, crumbled finely
Fresh Mint, torn or Chiffonade (French term literally meaning “made of rags”. To achieve this, stack and roll a small pile of leaves and then slice (or snip) them into thin ribbons.)
Toss all ingredients and enjoy. Keep refrigerated.
Orzo, Chick Pea, Tomato, and Cucumber Salad
adapted from Good Housekeeping
- 1 cup whole wheat or regular orzo
- 1 can (15-ounce) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained- helps to get rid of the “canned” flavor
- 1 container(s) (5 to 6 ounces) baby spinach
- 1/3 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice, (or 1 lemon, because I like lemon)
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 small seedless English cucumber, chopped (or a regular cucumber, seeded and chopped)
- 1 small vine-ripe tomato, chopped
a summer staple in our house, we also serve it with tortilla or pita chips and use as a “dip.”
4-5 Fresh ears of yellow or white corn, cut from the cob (save yourself a mess by placing the corncob in a large bowl before cutting)
1 ripe Avocado, diced
2 vine-ripe tomato, chopped
1 lime, juiced
Cut the corn from the cob and toss with avocado and tomato. Squeeze lime juice over salad. Salt and pepper, as needed. Serve as a side salad or with chips.
Told you those weren’t really recipes!